Sunday, September 11, 2005

A leader

Just had an amazing IM conference with Theresa Williams about my novel Mennonite Prince:  Scars of the Wind. 

I discovered a key insight about my protagonist's shadow character Jonathan.

It made me think of an amazing quote.

One of my favorite students, Carleen Risaliti (2002), sent it to me again not long ago.

                         *     *     *

So tonight I'm dedicating this quote by Lao Tzu to Theresa:

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worse when they despise him....

But of a good leader who talks little when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say, "We did it ourselves."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, Steven.  That is an amazing quote.  That's a keeper.  Glad to have been able to help you out.  I'm excited by your new ideas.  Even Snavely seems pleased!

Anonymous said...

It is indeed, a wonderful quote.  And would do well to be read by some leaders I know!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

TAG